Monday, September 11, 2006

Too much

There is a great scene from the last episode of LOST, Season one, where Shannon is struggling to carry too much luggage through the sand and into the caves. Shannon's brother has just died and she is not only carrying her clothing, but his as well. She's also hanging onto Vincent's leash, Vincent being the dog that 10 year old Walt has left in her care. As Shannon's frustration over carrying her load begins to overwhelm her, Sayid, who is this major rock of calm and strength, goes to help her. After some conversation with Sayid about the fact that she is carrying too much luggage, she looks at him with tears in her eyes and says "It's too much, this plane crash, all if it, it's too much". And in a TV moment that gave me chills, Sayid looks at her and says "It won't be too much if you let me carry it for you"

Whoa.

Either someone who writes for LOST reads the Bible, or the writers are tapping into spiritual truth and they just don't know it. Because Jesus says that his yoke is easy and his burden is light...and to cast our cares on Him. It won't be too much if we let him carry it for us.

I've been carrying a lot lately. I ran two miles this morning and thought of all the people I know who are hurting, me included. And my heart broke. I pretty much broke down in the shower when I realized there is too much for me to fix. It seems like everywhere I turn, someone is hurting. Anxiety, addiction, loss of hope, loss of opportunity, divorce, separation, rebellion, loneliness, brokenness. Pain. Pain. Pain. And I want to fix it all. But I can't.

It's almost suffocating, the need that surrounds us everyday. It's too much.

And Jesus says, "It's not too much if I carry it for you". So, I'm letting go of what I can't change, what I can't fix, what I can't do.

With that being said, I still feel suffocation, but not the panicky type. I think we have to be overwhelmed by need in order to move in a forward direction. There's not much I can really fix, but there is a lot I can do to comfort and encourage, to speak truth and life into people.

So, here's to the writers of LOST for reminding me that there is One who lightens the load.

No comments: